[R] One mixed effects model for two variables

Austin, Matt maustin at amgen.com
Tue Mar 8 03:11:11 CET 2005

Here are two possibilities, but neither tests simultaneously--others may
have those suggestions.

1.  If one of the variables in clinically more important than the other,
consider a stepdown procedure where the more important is tested first, then
if the first is successful the second is tested.  Procedures such as this
are well documented in the literature.

2.  Find a function of the two that has a clinical interpretation and model
that response. Body mass index is an example of such a function (kg/m^2),
but probably is not an endpoint that would be of interest in a growth study
in pediatrics.

Matt Austin
Statistician

Amgen
One Amgen Center Drive
M/S 24-2-C
Thousand Oaks CA 93021
(805) 447 - 7431

"Today has the fatigue of a Friday and the desperation of a Monday"  -- S.
Pearce 2005