[R] removing message: [Previously saved workspace restored]

Jan T. Kim jtk at cmp.uea.ac.uk
Tue Mar 8 22:59:22 CET 2005

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 08:51:44PM +0000, Federico Calboli wrote:

> I saved by mistake the environment I was working in after typing q(),
> and now I get the annoying message:
>
> [Previously saved workspace restored]
>
> I have already deleted all the objects in the environment, saving it as
> an empty environment, so it's just a matter of nitpicking I suppose. The
> message does not appear if I start R from any other place in the
> directory tree.
>
> I am reading ?Startup and related docs, but I am utterly failing to
> understand how to remove [Previously saved workspace restored] when I
> call R from the offending dir...
>
> I am using R on Debian Sarge x86

There is a file called .Rdata, containing the saved workspace, in the
"offending directory". Following Unix convention, the file is not normally
displayed by ls and other programs because its name begins with a dot.
See "Data permanency and removing objects" in the R-intro.

If you don't want the saved stuff anymore, simply delete that file.

Best regards, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: jtk at cmp.uea.ac.uk                               |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/people/jtk             |