[R] Encodebuf? yet another memory question

Tim Howard tghoward at gw.dec.state.ny.us
Wed Mar 9 17:07:42 CET 2005

Hi all,
   I was surprised to see this memory error:

Error in scan(Cn.minex13, nlines = 2, quiet = TRUE) :
        Could not allocate memory for Encodebuf
> memory.size(max=TRUE)
[1] 256843776
> memory.size(FALSE)
[1] 180144528
> memory.limit()
[1] 2147483648

I don't have any objects named 'Encodebuf' and help and the R site
search turn up no matches for this word.

As memory.size and memory.limit indicate, I'm way below my limit (but,
I grant that maybe windows won't give R any more memory...).   In my
next run, I'll ask to scan fewer lines, but I thought it worth asking
the group if this 'Encodebuf' error meant anything different than the
standard "can't allocate xxxxx bytes" message. (btw, if you are confused
that scanning only 2 lines would max out my memory... I'm scanning two
long lines from 36 different connections so it does add up).

> version
         _
platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386