[R] Decimal point as a comma in postcript and pdf graphics

Christophe Declercq cdeclercq at nordnet.fr
Wed Mar 9 17:46:45 CET 2005

> De : r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch
> [mailto:r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch]De la part de
> Peter Dalgaard
> Envoye : mercredi 9 mars 2005 15:19
>

> Ronny Klein <ronny.klein at wiwi.uni-halle.de> writes:

[...]
> > I would like to have a "comma" instead of a "point" as
> the decimal point in my
> > graphics, i.e. postscript and pdf files, for I write my
> thesis in German. My
[...]
> We don't have a way of formatting numbers according to
> LC_NUMERIC, as
> far as I know. This leaves it to you to set up axes etc. to your
> liking, e.g.
>
>  x <- rnorm(100,,.2)
>  p <- pretty(x)
>  hist(x,xaxt="n")
>  axis(1, at=p, labels=sub("\\.", ",", p))
>
> (and possibly throw in xlim=range(p) on the hist() call. Or use
> axTicks(), which is probably a better idea.)

When I need that, I use something like Peter but with the 'format'
function, for example:

  x <- rnorm(100,,.2)
  p <- pretty(x)
  hist(x,xaxt="n")
  axis(1, at=p, labels=format(pretty(x), decimal.mark=","))

Hope it helps.

Christophe
--
Christophe Declercq, MD
Observatoire regional de la sante Nord-Pas-de-Calais
E-mail c.declercq at orsnpdc.org