[R] Flattening a list of data frames

Lorin Hochstein lorin at cs.umd.edu
Wed Mar 9 21:07:20 CET 2005

Hello all,

Simple version of my problem:

I've got a list of data frames, where each data frame has the same
number of columns and the same column names. I'd like to flatten the
list into one large data frame. Is there an easy way to do this?

Quick example code:
a <- data.frame(x=c(1,2,3),y=c(5,7,9)
b <- data.frame(x=c(2,4,7,9),y=c(2,3,5,4))
z <- list(a,b)

# Do "something" to get the equivalent of  rbind(z[[1]],z[[2]])
???

More complex version:

My data is in this format because it's the output of a "by" statment
that looks like this:

y <- by(d,list(d$StudentID,d$Assignment),gapfun)

(where gapfun is a function I've defined that takes a data frame and
returns another data frame).

What I would like is to do is transform y into a data frame that has
columns "StudentID", "Assignment", and the columns in the data frame
returned by gapfun.

Any ideas?

Lorin

Lorin Hochstein