[R] from long/lat to UTM

Sander Oom slist at oomvanlieshout.net
Thu Mar 10 08:03:49 CET 2005

Hi Yyan,

The proj4R package by Roger Bivand will allow you to project data in
many ways and directions.

http://spatial.nhh.no/R/Devel/proj4R-pkg.pdf

It uses the proj libraries from:

http://www.remotesensing.org/proj/

Not sure where you would derive the time zone!

Good luck,

Sander.

yyan liu wrote:
> Hi:
>   Is there any function in R which can convert the
> long/lat to UTM(Universal Transverse Mercator)?
>   There are quite a few converters on Internet.
> However, the interface is designed as input->output
> which I can not convert lots of locations at the same
> time.
>   Another question is whether there is a function in R
> which can tell the time zone from the location's
> lat/long?
>   Thank you!
>
> liu

Dr. Sander P. Oom
Animal, Plant and Environmental Sciences,
University of the Witwatersrand
Private Bag 3, Wits 2050, South Africa
Tel (work)      +27 (0)11 717 64 04
Tel (home)      +27 (0)18 297 44 51