[R] Bonferroni simultaneous confidence intervals for multiple regression

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Mar 12 01:03:00 CET 2005

      John Fox described one version of the standard Bonferroni
correction.  I just got 51 hits from "www.r-project.org" -> Search -> "R
Site Search -> "Bonferroni";  you may wish to review them.  More
generally, a Google search for "Bonferroni" produced "about 347,000"
hits, the fifth of which was the NIST / Sematech Engineering Statistics
Handbook
(http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/prc/section4/prc473.htm), which
is quite useful for many things.

      However, if package multcomp or multtest (in Bioconductor)
suggested by Dieter Menne will work in your application, they would
probably be better than Bonferroni.  Bonferroni is like using a sledge
hammer to open a can.  The sledge hammer would work, but a can opener
would be preferable.  Bonferroni will work when other things won't, so I
would use something like multcomp or multtest when I could and
Bonferroni otherwise.

      hope this helps.  spencer graves