[R] difficulties with the save.image() function

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Mar 12 15:44:52 CET 2005

Tracy Bergemann wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I've had difficulty saving my workspace to an .RData file.
> This causes considerable frustration as it means that I have to regenerate
> my analysis every time I want to update it.  For microarray data in
> particular, this can be quite time consuming.
>
> I'm saving my data to a network folder on my system in Windows XP, something
> like an "H:\" drive or a "P:\" drive instead of a "C:\" drive.
>
> Here is the command which saves my workspace to my working directory:
> save.image("H:/Consulting/cmlExprA.RData")
> And here is the error I get:
> Error in save(list = ls(envir = .GlobalEnv, all.names = TRUE), file =
> outfile,: error writing to connection
>
> Any assistance?

- Do you have write access?
- Is there enough space available?
- Any quota?
- Can you save on a local drive, say a temp directory?
- How big is the file size? ("microarray" make me assume it is huge, so
is it > 2GB?, does the system support the file size?)

- What is the output of
  file.info("H:/Consulting/cmlExprA.RData")
and
  file.info("H:/Consulting")

Uwe Ligges