[R] any book and tutorial about how to manipulate data with R/S+

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Mar 13 01:07:43 CET 2005

On 12 March 2005 at 15:42, Wensui Liu wrote:
| I am sorry that I did not state my question clearly.
|
| What I mean by data manipulation includes sort, merge, aggregate,
| transpose, data export and import, format, date & time handle, and so
| on, which might be not important to statistician.

R excels at all of those, and it comes with five manuals one of which is
dedicated to data input/output. How to manipulate data once you have it
loaded is covered in the intro document and many of the other documents
that are available on the web or in a fine library or bookstore near you.

| I have use SAS and SPSS for a while and really want to use R as an
| alternative computing system. Unless R/S+ can provide strong
| functionality in data manipulation as SAS does, it is hard to compete
| with SAS in business rather than in academic.

You will find a variety of documents discussing exactly that. You could
start with Frank Harrell's website.

Hth,  Dirk

--
Better to have an approximate answer to the right question than a precise
answer to the wrong question.  --  John Tukey as quoted by John Chambers