[R] Re: Installing R on Mandrake 10.1

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 15 09:51:31 CET 2005

    Christian> Dear all, I am trying to install the
    Christian> R-2.0.0-1mdk.i586.rpm
    Christian> <http://cran.planetmirror.com/bin/linux/mandrake/10.0/R-2.0.0-1mdk.i586.rpm>
    Christian> file on mandrake 10.1.

Hi Christian,
I'm not really answering your question,
but really you shouldn't install R 2.0.0 once R 2.0.1 has been
released for such a long time and already R 2.1.0 is going into
"alpha" stage next Monday.

Why don't you try to install from source?
I've been advocating this as a test of ``having a decently
complete Linux/Unix system'', i.e.,
in order to build R from the sources (without too many warnings
about missing features) you will have to get quite a few useful
things (gcc, g77, perl, latex, texinfo, ..) that you want `anyway'.
One of the five R manuals is called
"R Administration / Installation" -- this should help you to
become successful.  Once you've installed R 2.0.1 from the
sources, you will be ready to try "R 2.1.0 alpha" -- which will
be a service to the R user community, if you help testing out
R 2.0.1 *before* its release.

BTW, you seem to be from Roma, Italy. You might be delighted to
see that R 2.1.0 will speak Italian in some ways.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich