[R] X11 Protocol error : BadWindow

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed Mar 16 14:36:57 CET 2005

All,

I am using the tcltk package (under macos 10.3.8, running R from ESS, R
2.0.0).  I am using tcltk libraries from fink:

  i   tcltk                                       8.4.1-12
           Tool Command Language and the Tk toolkit
  i   tcltk-dev                                   8.4.1-12
           Tool Command Language and the Tk toolkit
  i   tcltk-shlibs                                8.4.1-12
           Tool Command Language and the Tk toolkit

#### R CODE
PressedOK <-  function()
{
   plot(runif(100)*10,runif(100)*10)
}

tt <- tktoplevel()
OK.but <- tkbutton(tt,text="OK",command=PressedOK)
tkgrid(OK.but)
tkfocus(tt)

If I evaluate the above code, it works as expected.  However, when
completed (I close the "OK" window), if I enter any commands that
result in errors by R (commands that don't exist, for example), I get:

 > dev()
Error: couldn't find function "dev"
In addition: Warning messages:
1: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
2: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
3: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
4: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
5: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
6: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
7: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
8: X11 protocol error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)

However, as soon as I do ls(), for example, the warning messages
disappear and don't recur unless I re-execute the code.  The archives
turned up this thread
(https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2004-August/055212.html), which
relates to RCMDr use, but I think is probably general.  The thread
doesn't look like it comes to a complete resolution.  (I did one
suggestion, remove the tkfocus call, and get the same result.)  I am
tempted to ignore the warnings entirely (being lazy when the code
works), but just wanted to hear if there are any insights from the
list.

Thanks,
Sean