[R] Time Series

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 16 20:28:47 CET 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 consentino at infinito.it wrote:

> I'm using a dataset with unequally spaced time series
> and I'd want to know if there is in R some function in
> order to calculate the autocorrelation function, because
> acf() in stats package cannot calculate it, because I
> have many missing data, and data are not equally spaced.

The autocorrelation function is a theoretical quantity: acf() estimates
it, not calculates it.  (Do read its help page carefully.)

For `unequally spaced time series' you would need to define what you mean
by the autocorrelation function, then find a credible estimator.
(One way forward is to assume you have a sample of a continuous-time
series, but only one.)

> And if so, is it necessary to organize dataset in ts
> structure or is it possible to consider it like a simple
> vector?

None of the above!

Depends what you want to do with it, but the structures offered by the
packages tseries, zoo and its seem more suitable.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk