[R] Landscape indeces analysis methods as an R package!?

Sander Oom slist at oomvanlieshout.net
Thu Mar 17 10:05:16 CET 2005

Dear Barry,

Thanks for your stimulating reply. As you see I have send a CC of this
reply to the R mailing list. The R mailing list will be the best place
to send your queries. You can subscribe here:
http://www.r-project.org/mail.html

 I would think there is an interest in the provision of landscape
indices analysis methods in R. There are several packages for landscape
indices analysis available (Fragstats, APACK, IAN), but all use their
own user and data interfaces. Only the r.le tools are available in a
more general software: GRASS GIS. It would be usefull to have the
functionality within the powerful data analysis tool R. Of course
providing an R package will remove most of the user and data interface
requirements as they will be taken care off by R. Only the core
landscape indices methods need to be included. You will have to consult
the R mailing list on how to translate your code into an R package!

The spatial aspects of R are further developed at the moment and spatial
packages become more and more powerful. Look here for most recent
development: http://www.r-project.org/Rgeo

R can currently read (relevant R package name in brackets: ASCII grid
(with custom function or Adehabitat), shape files (maptools and
shapefiles), GRASS files (grass) and ArcInfo files (RArcInfo), many
others via external gdal (rgdal). I would say plenty of opportunities!

Hope this gets you under way!

Cheers,

Sander.