[R] png device & videos

Thu Mar 17 20:21:13 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 19:27 +0100, javier garcia wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> please, has anyone found a way to convert a series of png files created in an
> R script into a video (as avi), from within the same R script?
>
> I know this has little relation with typical R problems. Just because I've
> spent all day without finding a solution, and perhaps anyone has done it
> before here.
>
> Thanks and best regards,
>
> Javier

I have not done it personally, but there are several Linux based apps
that can take PNG/JPGs and convert them to MPG/AVI. This is not within
R, but external to it.

Your e-mail header suggests that you are using KDE, so you might want to
look at:

http://kjpeg2avi.sourceforge.net/

I believe that the mencoder application can also do this. It is
available via the MPlayer site. More information is available here:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-enc-images.html

You might want to do a Google search to find additional options.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz