[R] RODBC and portability issue

Depiereux Constant constant.depiereux at aqte.be
Thu Mar 17 21:56:44 CET 2005

Hello,

New user of R I did experience some trouble using R and ODBC on Windows
XP, MS Access and PostgreSQL.

While querying a database is relatively simple, the use of sqlSave is a
bit more tricky.

After a large series of trial, I finally succeeded to get it work
provided :

1. I leave the application create the table by itself. Once created,
reusing it is simple and reliable, although you should not try to adapt
the layout of the table to fix you exact needs. In this case, nothing
works anymore in about 80% of the cases.

2. I manage to create the database using a record whici contains the
largest possible data item for a given variable, otherwise there is a
risk to be limited to a fields that appears to be to narrow to receive
largest occurrence of the data/field.

Then the real problem really start : to perform the analysis on time, I
have to run it in parallel on several machines, ideally without
creating several time the similar table under a different name.

So the question is simple : which 'invisible' information is created
either by R, ODBC or the database that should be replicated to avoid
this silly scenario of multiple occurrence of the table.

Help me please.

PS :I think that I read carefully the documentation before asking this
question, so please avoid refering back to it, unless with a precise
item to be re-read.

`

Constant Depièreux
Managing Director
Applied Quality Technologies Europe sprl
Rue des Déportés 123, B4800   Verviers
Tel : + 32 87 29 21 75
Fax : +32 87 29 21 71
Mobile : +32 475 555 818