[R] Ideal Computer and Software (A bit off topic)

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Fri Mar 18 16:12:30 CET 2005

I'd like to mention that if using the desktop applications such as MS
Word, Excel, Powerpoint, email software, Acrobat Reader, etc. is
important to you, then the Mac may be a better choice than a Linux
box. Mac OS X lets you use all of those, and also work at the unix
level, side by side and simultaneously, on the same machine.

On a Mac you can run R either with a GUI analagous to that of R for
Windows, or you can run it as a command line app, as on Linux.

I can't help with performance comparison questions, or the 64 bit
issue, I'm sorry to say.

-Don

At 11:41 AM -0800 3/17/05, KKThird at Yahoo.Com wrote:
>Hello everyone.
>
>This question might be a bit off topic, but I thought
>that (a) there couldn't be a better group to address
>my questions and (b) that others might find it useful
>too; It also might start an interesting discussion
>thread.
>
>I use R often for simulation purposes (which generally
>involve a lot of for() loops) and for most of my
>general work. I will be purchasing a new computing
>system soon, and I'm wondering the best way to go. I'm
>a Windows user now, and from what I know and have read
>about Linux, it is what I should be using (or possibly
>a Unix machine). I'm not wedded to a Windows system
>and I'm willing to put in the time to learn Linux if
>it would truly be beneficial. Is it the case that
>Linux offers so much more than Windows that it is
>definitely worth the switch?
>
>For the hardware issue, is it generally better to run
>R on a server and then connect to the server or on a
>stand alone computer (Obviously the performance would
>be related to the specific hardware, but if the
>hardware was essentially equal, would there be any
>advantage to either?).

A server might have other users using competing with you for cpu cycles.
A server might have a more reliable backup policy (or might not!).
A server might or might not have security patches and OS upgrades
done more promptly.
If you need to transfer content from R (text output or graphics
files) into reports or presentations,
it might be easier with a local machine, depending on whether the
server shares file systems.