[R] Quantiles of data in a contingency table

Matt Mohebbi mmohebbi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 21:09:52 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:29:16 +0200, Markus Jäntti <markus.jantti at iki.fi> wrote:
> Matt Mohebbi wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have data of the following form:
> >

> >>data <- data.frame(type=c("c","d","e"), size=c(10,20,30), count=c(20,10,5))
> >>data
> >
> >   type size count
> > 1    c   10    20
> > 2    d   20    10
> > 3    e   30     5
> >
> > I would like to compute the quantiles of size given the counts. For
> > instance, in this example, the median size would be 10. Is there an
> > easy way of doing this?
>
> One at least is to the function wtd.median [and wtd.quantile] in package
> Hmisc by Frank Harrell.
>
> install.packages("Hmisc")
> library(Hmisc)
> wtd.median(data$size, data$weights)
>
> is likely a route to get you what you want.
Thanks. This worked great.

I now would like to do a boxplot on a subset of this data. One way of
doing this would be to create a repeated entry form of the above data
frame. This would look like:
   type size
 1    c   10
 2    c   10
 3    c   10
 4    c   10
 5    c   10
 6    c   10
 7    c   10
 8    c   10
 9    c   10
 10    c   10
 11    c   10
 12    c   10
 13    c   10
 14    c   10
 15    c   10
 16    c   10
 17    c   10
 18    c   10
 19    c   10
 20    c   10
(and similarly for types d and e)

I cannot seem to find this in R or Hmisc. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt