[R] Maximum amount of memory

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Mon Mar 21 19:43:36 CET 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Tim Cutts wrote:

> On 21 Mar 2005, at 4:42 pm, marvena at tin.it wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have a problem:I need to use the maximum amount of memory in order to
>> perform a very tough analysis. By purchasing the suitable computer, what's
>> the maximum amount of memory obtainable in R?
>
> Assuming that R is happy to use 64-bit memory pointers, the limit will be
> your wallet.

I believe there are still some limits on sizes of individual objects, such
as C and Fortran code that uses int or INTEGER to hold dimensions.

Many packages will definitely have problems: for example, the survival
package cannot correctly handle a design matrix with more than 2^31-1
elements, no matter how much memory it has.  I don't know how much of the
internal R code would also break when vectors have more than 2^31-1
entries.

Now, 2^31-1 entries in a numeric matrix is 16Gb in one object, so your
wallet is still likely to be the practical limit.

 	-thomas