[R] nls() and "singular grandient"

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Mar 22 16:04:07 CET 2005

      Many people could help you, but the question is too general.  In
brief, it means that the algorithm has found a place where the
(estimated?) matrix of first or second partial derivatives is of reduced
rank, and it refuses to do more.  For such problems, I often use "optim".

      If you need more specifics, PLEASE do read the posting guide!
"http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html", prepare a very simple
example of what you get, and submit that to this list.  Many people find
answers to their questions in the process of preparing a post following
this guide, and those that don't, I believe, are more likely to get more
informative replies.

      spencer graves