[R] Question on statistics

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Mar 23 14:17:05 CET 2005

If the sample is drawn with replacement from the finite population, then the
usual formula applies (assuming iid samples); i.e., var(sample mean) =
var(population) / n.

There's some problem in your description:  A finite population, I believe,
is necessarily discrete (since there are only N possible values), so it can
not be Gaussian (i.e., normal).

Andy