[R] (no subject)

zhihua li lzhtom at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 15:23:55 CET 2005

hi netters:

I have a series of  discrete variables which form a network and  I want to
learn the network structure from some training data. I could have used
packages like deal but there are two problems.

First of all, I have 10000 variables. So the possible network structure is
awfully huge, I don't know how long it will take my PC to find the
highest-scoring network..........maybe a month?
Secondly, I have some prior knowledge that only 500 out of the 10000
variales are possible parents. In another word, only those arrows startting
from the 500 variables and pointing to the remaining 99500 variables are
allowed in the network.  In deal an assignment to "banlist" should help me
rule out the impossible arrows. But in my case the number of "impossible
arrows" is  500*499+99500*99549, and so the "banlist" would get
unacceptable long. Are there any methods (in deal or other packages) to
specify the parents set in advance?

Thanks a lot!