[R] non-derivative based optimization and standard errors.

Huntsinger, Reid reid_huntsinger at merck.com
Thu Mar 24 16:23:35 CET 2005

You'll really need to give some details if you want anything like a relevant
answer. There aren't really general methods for dealing with discontinuous
functions you can't compute.

A few things come to mind. 1) You might have a look at the literature on
segmented regression. Non-differentiable and even discontinuous objective
functions arise there. 2) Monte Carlo: you may be able to adapt one of the
Monte Carlo optimization approaches to your situation, avoiding having to do
Monte Carlo within Monte Carlo.

I'd be happy to be more specific if you'll supply details.

Reid Huntsinger