[R] gam in library(gam)

Kerry Bush kerryrekky at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 20:34:30 CET 2005

I know there are two versions of gam in R. One is in
library(mgcv) and one is in library(gam). The one in
mgcv can automatically calculate the smoothing
parameter. However, the one in gam can't although it
can incorporate a larger variety of smoothers (besides
spline). Can anybody educate me if there is a way to
do smoothing parameter selection in gam from
library(gam)? I know I can always program
cross-validation by myself. But it might be more
friendly for the software if it can take this into
account automatically. (like gam in library(mgcv))