[R] final stages of installing R - please help?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Mar 29 22:01:05 CEST 2005

"Jeffrey Gruen, M.D." <jrgruen at email.med.yale.edu> writes:

> Hello,
>
> This morning I downloaded, unzipped, and compiled the latest version
> of R for unix, in my HOME/APPLICATIONS directory.
> My current unix machine is a sparc-sun-solaris2.9, running SunOS 5.9.
> Here are the last few lines of the output following ./configure:
>
> R is now configured for sparc-sun-solaris2.9
>
>    Source directory:          .
>    Installation directory:    /usr/local
>
>    C compiler:                /usr/local/bin/gcc  -g -O2
>    C++ compiler:              g++
>    Fortran compiler:          /usr/local/bin/g77  -g -O2
>
>    Interfaces supported:      X11
>    External libraries:
>    Additional capabilities:
>    Options enabled:           R profiling
>
>    Recommended packages:      yes
>
> Then I checked my HOME/APPLICATIONS directory and indeed following the
> compiling, I now had a new bin directory:
> HOME/APPLICATIONS/R-2.0.1/bin
> And within the bin, I had many new files including an executable
> (theoretically) R file:
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root        6099 Mar 29 13:18 R
>
> I then ran 'make'.
> Here are the last few lines from the 'make' output to the screen:
> rm -f libappl.a
> false cr libappl.a approx.o bakslv.o bandwidths.o binning.o chull.o
> cpoly.o cumsum.o fft.o fmin.o integrate.o interv.o lbfgsb.o loglin.o
> lowess.o machar.o maxcol.o massdist.o pretty.o rcont.o rowsum.o
> splines.o stem.o strsignif.o tabulate.o uncmin.o zeroin.o ch2inv.o
> chol.o dchdc.o dpbfa.o dpbsl.o dpoco.o dpodi.o dpofa.o dposl.o dqrdc.o
> dqrdc2.o dqrls.o dqrsl.o dqrutl.o dsvdc.o dtrco.o dtrsl.o eigen.o
> lminfl.o blas.o  zgemm.o
> make[3]: *** [libappl.a] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/gruen/Applications/R-2.0.1/src/appl'
> make[2]: *** [R] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/gruen/Applications/R-2.0.1/src/appl'
> make[1]: *** [R] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gruen/Applications/R-2.0.1/src'
> make: *** [R] Error 1

Looks like it couldn't find the "ar" program and set it to "false". I
don't quite understand why configure allows itself to complete in that
case, but the basic problem could be that you don't have your PATH set
right. I believe the standard version sits in /usr/ccs/bin.

> I then ran 'make check'.

Won't do anything useful if you haven't built R succesfully first.