[R] Base and lattice graphics on the same graphics page

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 30 06:32:50 CEST 2005

Although base graphics does not mix with lattice in the one graph,
I've found that print.trellis(position=..., ) and the use of
par(fig=...)
to put regular and trellis graphics on the one graphics page works
like a treat, at least in version 2.0.1 of R.  [Base graphics functions
that are themselves inconsistent with par(fig=...) are obviously
disallowed.]

I am wondering whether there are caveats of which I and others
should be aware, or whether there is a risk that the ongoing
development of R's graphics abilities will render such a cohabitation
unworkably fractious.

Example:

gph <- bwplot(voice.part ~ height, data=singer)
print(gph, position=c(0, 0.5, 1, 1)) # x0, y0, x1, y1
par(fig=c(0, 1, 0,0.5), new=TRUE) # x0, x1, y0, y1
boxplot(height ~ voice.part, data=singer, horiz=TRUE)

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Bioinformation Science, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.