[R] NA's?

Bill.Venables@csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Thu Mar 31 03:42:05 CEST 2005

Your message doesn't help us very much.  You haven't said what kind of
calculation it is you want to do, and that certainly matters.  For
example, for some kinds of computations the solution you started below
would work fine:

> M <- matrix(1:16, 4, 4)
> is.na(diag(M)) <- TRUE
     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4]
[1,]   NA    5    9   13
[2,]    2   NA   10   14
[3,]    3    7   NA   15
[4,]    4    8   12   NA
> rowSums(M, na.rm = TRUE)
[1] 27 26 25 24
> colSums(M, na.rm = TRUE)
[1]  9 20 31 42

You can also use apply( ) with functions that will accept missing values
(and ignore them) for computations on either the rows or the columns.

Hoping for a general mechanism that would somehow signal the diagonal
values as values to be "ignored" in a general way is not a possibility.
Just as a curiosity, what were you hoping that na.omit(M) would do?

V.