[R] Partial F-test comparing full and reduced regression models

Jim Milks jrclmilks at joimail.com
Sun May 1 21:42:41 CEST 2005

Dear all:

I have a regression model that has collinearity problems (between three
regressor variables).  I need a F-test that will allow me to compare
between full (with all variables) and partial models (minus 1=<
variables).  The general F-test formula I'm using is:

F = {[SS(full model) - SS(reduced model)] / (#variables taken out)} /
MSS(full model)

Unfortunately, the ANOVA table parses the SS and MSS between the
variables and does not give the statistics for the regression model as
a whole, otherwise I'd do this by hand.

So, really, I have two questions: 1) Can I just add up all the SS and
MSS for all the variables to get the model SS and MSS and 2)  Are there
any functions or packages I can use to calculate the F-statistic?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,
Jim Milks

Graduate Student