[R] congratulations to the JGR developers

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon May 2 17:39:28 CEST 2005

On 5/2/05, Andy Bunn <abunn at whrc.org> wrote:
> > I have not tried JGR but regarding your three adjective describing R,
> > R is very powerful but I am not sure I would characterize it as simple
> > and elegant -- complex and practical seem nearer to the mark to me.
>
> I take umbrage (and not in the sense of affording shade).
>
> Take 'simple' to mean plain, or having few ornamentations. Then it sounds
> like R.  As for elegance, R is refined, tasteful, and beautiful. When I grow
> up, I want to marry R.

This seems to me to be like the Oscar Wilde sketch where they
are criticizing the King behind his back and every time they get
caught redefine their words to turn the insult into praise in order
to please him.  They keep coming up with more and more
outrageous insults making it harder and harder to figure out how
to redefine them as praise.