[R] Classes and methods

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Tue May 3 21:16:46 CEST 2005

On May 3, 2005, at 2:53 PM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> On 5/3/05, Laura Holt <lauraholt_983 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi R people:
>>
>> I would like to learn about classes, methods, S3 and S4.
>>
>> Which book would be the most helpful for this info, please:  the
>> green one
>> or the white(and blue) one?
>>
>> Or is there something that would be even better, please?
>>

> Reading the source of a few packages:  R2HTML (S3), zoo (S3)
> and its (S4) would get you up to speed quickly.

I just did some of this learning myself.  Here are a couple of links
that I found useful:

http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/S-Workshop/Gentleman/S4Objects.pdf
http://eeyore.ucdavis.edu/stat250/OOP.html

I found the first particularly easy reading and it got me going quickly
with S4 methods, which it seems to me are the way to go in most cases.

Sean