[R] How to intepret a factor response model?

Maciej Bliziński m.blizinski at wsisiz.edu.pl
Wed May 4 12:02:14 CEST 2005

Thanks a lot for the answers (prof Ripley and Ted).

I'm trying to analyze a survey. Most of the variables are of factor
type, with values for example {"no_at_all", "a_little", "mostly",
"a_lot"}.

I thought about mapping those answers to numbers, but I didn't know what
numbers should I assign them to: {1, 2, 3, 4} (linear) or maybe
{1, 2, 4, 8} (exponential)? So I rather tried to analyze the original
factor survey data.

Multinomial factor response wasn't covered in the lectures in my school
so I'm trying to use my intuition and trial/error technique (please
forgive me :-) ).

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> I do wonder if that is what you intended, though.

I'd like to find possible correlations between factors in my survey. The
survey is about allergies and I'd like to find out if there is
correlation between the degree of allergic problems and the breast milk
(and artificial milk) feeding of the person as a child.

> You have fitted a model of 'two or three' vs 'one'.  You may have
> intended a multinomial logistic model: again MASS4 has details of such
> models.

I'll go on reading, the "fullrefman.pdf" file.

Regards,
Maciej Blizinski
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet