[R] rank of a matrix

Huntsinger, Reid reid_huntsinger at merck.com
Wed May 4 19:18:23 CEST 2005

qr() returns an estimate of the rank. However the rank of a matrix isn't
really computable (or useful) in general in finite precision arithmetic. The
Hilbert matrix example (from help(svd)) is a good illustration:

> hilbert <- function(n) { i <- 1:n; 1 / outer(i - 1, i, "+") }
> qr(hilbert(9))$rank
[1] 7

but it's actually an invertible 9 x 9 matrix.

Rather you can estimate how far a matrix is from having rank <= k for
example. A book on numerical linear algebra would be a good reference.

A common approach to statistical analysis of certain kinds of data deals
with the ranks of the data values, and that's why you got so many hits for
"rank".

Reid Huntsinger