[R] JGR and R 2.0.X

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed May 4 20:47:53 CEST 2005

On May 4, 2005, at 9:18 AM, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Christoph Scherber wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>> I am running Windows XP with several parallel installations of R
>> (2.0.1; 2.1 and so on). How can I install JGR for the 2.0.1
>> version? I keep on getting error messages when trying to install it.
>
> I am sure Simon Urbanek et al. are happy to help you, but even the
> winners of the John Chambers Statistical Software Award are unable
> to help if you don't say what the error messages are and which
> versions of JGR you tried...

Markus is the winner, I'm just changing oil and doing dirty
things ;). I'd be glad to help and, yes, http://www.rosuda.org/
lists.shtml is the right place to discuss JGR-related things in more
detail.

In general JGR (and also JRI, rJava and JavaGD) uses the registry
setting to determine the location and version of R. This setting is
updated by the R installer if you leave the (D)COM setting checked
(which is the default). This implies, however, that the sequence in
which you install the various R versions matters - you should install
the latest version last. If you want to edit the setting manually,
use regedit and look into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/R-core/R - it
contains both the version and the path (at your own risk).

The most recent JGR for Windows can be installed simply with
install.packages("JGR",,"http://www.rosuda.org/R")
and then starting JGR.exe which can be found in $R_HOME/library/JGR.
The package installation fetches the correct version for your R (2.0
and 2.1 are supported only). The convenience installer is still
provided at http://www.rosuda.org/JGR/1.2/JGR-12.exe
Mac binary and Linux sources of the new release should become
available this week.

Cheers,
Simon