[R] rank of a matrix

Ravi Varadhan rvaradha at jhsph.edu
Thu May 5 00:03:18 CEST 2005

For the example that Duncan just gave, using the "matrix.rank" function of
Spencer Graves (which uses singular value decomposition) I obtained the
following result:

> exponent <- -(7:16)
> eps <- 10^exponent
> sapply(eps,mat=h9times4,function(x,mat)matrix.rank(mat,x))
 [1] 6 7 7 8 8 9 9 9 9 9

This tells me that the correct rank should be 9, since the rank stabilizes
for smaller tolerances.  I realize that this may not work generally, and one
could create counter-examples to defeat this strategy.

Best,
Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,  The Center on Aging and Health
Johns Hopkins University
Ph: (410) 502-2619
Fax: (410) 614-9625
Email:  rvaradhan at jhmi.edu