[R] Numerical Derivative / Numerical Differentiation of unknownfunct ion

Ravi Varadhan rvaradha at jhsph.edu
Fri May 6 22:02:51 CEST 2005

In general, any n-th order partial derivative can be approximated by forming
the appropriate tensor product of n univariate approximations.  If each
univariate approximation is based on a two-point central difference (which
involves 2 function evaluations), then the total number of function
evaluations in the tensor product is 2^n.  So, if you have a bivariate
distribution, then its density is simply the second-order cross partial
derivative, which can be evaluated accurately with 4 function evaluations.
You can see that this problem quickly becomes non-trivial due to curse of
dimensionality.

Hope this helps.

Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,  The Center on Aging and Health
Johns Hopkins University
Ph: (410) 502-2619
Fax: (410) 614-9625
Email:  rvaradhan at jhmi.edu