[R] General Question re R vs S-Plus

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Sat May 7 23:52:51 CEST 2005

> From: Jonathan Q.
>
> Coming up to speed on both R and S-Plus.  My access to S-Plus will end
> soon so I want to get up to speed on R. The big initial difference
> seems that R has only the command editor where S-Plus also has a
> windows interface.

What exactly do you mean by this?  What would you call Rgui.exe?

> My preference is to learn the language and the windows interface
> doesn't really do the trick.  My question is, if one uses the windows
> interface for some functions, is there a way to see what the
> equivalent code would be?  I have checked the manuals, help etc and
> can't seem to find a way.

That sounds more like a question for S-news than R-help...  In any case, my
impression is that commands linked to the S-PLUS GUI menus and buttons are
functions written for that.  You're not likely to learn much that will carry
over to R.

Andy