[R] what is a good learning book for R?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun May 8 21:01:07 CEST 2005

	  I would endorse Stephen's suggestions and add a couple of my own:  I
find that the examples on the help pages are often quite useful.  If you
are on Windows, you might also check "~\R\Rw2010pat\library" for
specific packages, including "\demo" files.

	  There are many different packages that provide different capabilites
for time series, and I have yet to reach a critical mass with any of
them.  Venables and Ripley, Modern Applied Statistics with S (Springer)
has a chapter on time series.  That book is quite good for many other
things as well.

	  What kind of time series will you be analyzing, using what kinds of
models?  Apart from functions acf, arima, etc., you may also need to
learn how to associate times with the observations.  There are classes
"POSIXct", "POSIXlt" and "Date" in the base package and "date" in the
survival package that are unfortunately different.  There is also a
"time series" class in the base Stats package.  Beyond this, I would
check the "zoo" package, which attempts to reconcile different systems
for storing dates.  In addition to "its" (irregular time series), you
may wish to investigate the "Rmetrics" project.

	  There are other facilities as well.  Please read the posting guide
"http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html" and submit more specific
questions.  Other people's answers to your questions will likely help
educate me.

	  Best Wishes,
	  spencer graves