[R] units of a biplot

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 9 12:54:00 CEST 2005

First, I think you are talking about the princomp method of biplot, and
not a general biplot.

There are many different biplots for PCA, some incorrectly implemented.
The derivation is in MASS4 pp. 310-1, as well as the interpretation.  You
need to understand what a biplot is to understand the units, which depend
on the value of 'scale' and 'pc.biplot'.  See the note on the help page
for biplot.princomp.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk