[R] Does R have a command for sending emails?

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Tue May 10 12:02:36 CEST 2005

On 5/10/05, Barry Rowlingson <B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:

> > Hoping this helps! (Of course, if you're not a unixoid, this
> > is probably no use to you at all, and I have no idea how to
> > do anything similar in Windows).
>
>  How about an R package to talk to google's gmail service, perhaps
> leveraging an existing API, such as:
>
> http://libgmail.sourceforge.net/
>
>  this is written in pure python, so not only is it cross-platform but
> it should be possible to write one in pure R using HTTP calls and the like.
>
>  you could then do statistical analysis of your gmail spam purely in R.
>
>  or am I now getting too silly?

Not yet.

However, one could just connect via sockets to port 25 (smtp port) and
do an appropriate mail sending dialog.

Not too hard, provided that you get the details right and handle any
security issues.

--
best,
-tony

"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily
roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).

A.J. Rossini
blindglobe at gmail.com