[R] Big matrix memory problem

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Fri May 13 14:57:52 CEST 2005

Hallo

On 13 May 2005 at 13:38, s104100026 wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I want to read 256 1000x1000 matrices into R. I understand that it is
> unlikely that I can do this but In the hope that somebody can help me
> I am mailing this list.

Why do you think that.

I easilly read files from data logging equipment.

> 60min*24h*15days*130variables from text file which has
[1] 2808000 items

just by read.table() in few whiles on quite old (4 years) and not
superbly equipped PC (1G memory).

So you can read your matrices sequentially. But if you want to
work with all 256 matrices at once it could be problem.

Depends on what you want to do with them.
Cheers
Petr