[R] Lattice plot within a "for" loop does not happen?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri May 13 16:52:36 CEST 2005

Barry Rowlingson wrote:

>> BUT, when I stick this in a loop, I get a bunch of blank graphics
>> devices. This happens even if the loop only executes once. I could
>> just go through and do these one by one, but I was curious if I was
>> overlooking something obvious. Thank you for any advice.
>

>  You're overlooking something like line 800 of the documentation for
> xyplot:
>
>  Value:
>
>      An object of class ``trellis''. The `update' method can be used to
>      update components of the object and the `print' method (usually
>      called by default) will plot it on an appropriate plotting device.
>

>  xyplot doesn't actually make any marks on the screen. Oh no. It returns
> an object. You have to make that object make the marks on the screen.
> This happens automatically when you run something interactively, but not

Baz, actually, printing happens only under two circumstances, AFAIK:
1. by wrapping in print()
2. automatically by evaluating an expression (which might be the object
name only) in the top level (R_GlobalEnv), but only if no assignment
takes place.

In particular, automatical (point 2 above) printing happens also in
non-interactive sessions like
   R CMD BATCH
calls.

The idea of returning an object is very nice, I think. You can calculate
on the object and print the modified object (well, in fact, I rarely use
lattice myself, though).

Best,
Uwe