[R] Suppressing warning messages

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon May 16 12:45:49 CEST 2005

    UweL> Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
    >> Tolga Uzuner wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I suppress the following ?
    >>>
    >>> Warning messages: 1: the condition has length > 1 and
    >>> only the first element will be used in: if (strike ==
    >>> forward) atmvol(forward, t, alpha, beta, rho, upsilon)
    >>> else { 2: the condition has length > 1 and only the
    >>> first element will be used in: if (x(z) == 0) 1 else
    >>> z/x(z)

    >> Maybe better to understand what generates the warning!

    UweL> Yes! In both cases you should really look why you are
    UweL> using *conditions of length > 1*!

yes, indeed!
This is a bug almost always (my subjective probability : 0.995)

Maybe you want to use
     if(any(...))
or   if(all(...))
instead of the current  if(...)

    UweL> And if this is intended, you certainly want to use "ifelse()" rather
    UweL> than "if(){} else{}".

(from my above guess, the probability for this would be about 1:200)

Martin