[R] lwd less than 1

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 19 09:11:04 CEST 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Jacques VESLOT wrote:

> Thank you for helping,
>
> Actually, lwd=.5 in plot() or par() brings neither error nor warning message,
> but lwd below 1 seems not to be taken into account, as plot(..., lwd=1) and
> plot(..., lwd=.5) look quite the same.

On what device: see below?

> Besides, it is mentioned in the lwd section of the par() help page :
> " (...) some devices do not implement line widths less than one".

(The people who write the documentation do tend to know what it says:
you omitted `The interpretation is device-specific' and it seems did not
look in the device-specific documentation.)

This _is_ documented under both ?postscript and ?pdf as

      Line widths as controlled by 'par(lwd=)' are in multiples of
      1/96inch.  Multiples less than 1 are allowed.  'pch="."' with 'cex
      = 1' corresponds to a square of side 1/72 inch.

You haven't mentioned the device (or version of R) you are using, nor the
commands used nor how you are viewing the output.

I checked the sources: the quartz() device is restricted to lwd >= 1, so
this might have resulted from plotting on that and then copying the plot.

> What I am looking for is how to get readable plots (with not too wide lines)
> after size reduction...

Using postscript() or pdf() directly works for me, and the code is the
same on all R platforms.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk