[R] Call R from Fortran

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 19 09:32:19 CEST 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Mulholland, Tom wrote:

> I don't know, but I do know that if you search the mailing list the answer is there.
>
> One place to start might be
> http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/50776.html

That is about calling Fortran from R, not the subject of this question.
(There are many other more authoritative sources for that.)

> I found this by searching for "fortran" on the mailing list.
>
> You might also read the posting guide. The link above refers to a
> particular operating system which may or may not be be the one you are
> using. I think you might also need to read "Writing R Extensions"

This can only be done by combining Fortran and C, as R functions need R
objects as arguments and return R objects.  R objects are defined in C
headers and use structures not in Fortran 77.  But it can be done, and
"Writing R Extensions" is a good place to start, especially the
OS-specific sections on writing new front ends.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk