[R] R annoyances

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu May 19 19:54:59 CEST 2005

Vadim et.al:

I do not care to comment one way or the other about R's "irregularities.'
But I am puzzled by your statement that a "good C++ programmer is struggling
with R." Why should they not struggle?! R is primarily a language for data
analysis, statistics, and graphics. I do not understand why someone who is a
C++ programmer would be expected to have the knowledge and experience to be
a "data miner" and would not therefore struggle to deal with the statistical
and data analysis issues that are deliberately at the heart of many of R's
programming conventions.

Is there something here that I am missing, or is this yet another example of
Frank Harrell's "instant brain surgeon" commentary?

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box