[R] R annoyances

bogdan romocea br44114 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 18:12:17 CEST 2005

Prof Ripley,

I'm aware of R CMD check, but who uses it? Not many regular users, I
presume. As long as T/F are allowed to stand for TRUE/FALSE without
being reserved words, there will be users who will fall in the trap.

As your example shows, some code would have to be manually converted.
Avoiding the difficult conversion may well be considered more
important than ensuring that new/intermediate R users don't get into
trouble. (After all, it's the experts who make the decisions, and who
have a large investment in existing code.) From another perspective
though, the total quantity of past, current - and especially future -
T/F mistakes made by the new members of a rapidly increasing R user
base may outweigh the difficulties the experts would have to go
through to convert their code.
b.