[R] 21 CFR Part 11 Compliance and R

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon May 23 22:38:25 CEST 2005

To further add to and perhaps clarify Frank's remark: 21 CFR Part 11 defines
certain requirements for electronics records. A general requirement relevant
for statistical software used in submissions is, I presume (quoted):

  " Persons who use closed systems to create, modify, maintain, or
transmit electronic records shall employ procedures and controls
designed to ensure the authenticity, integrity, and, when appropriate,
the confidentiality of electronic records, and to ensure that the signer
cannot readily repudiate the signed record as not genuine. Such
procedures and controls shall include the following:
    (a) Validation of systems to ensure accuracy, reliability,
consistent intended performance, and the ability to discern invalid or
altered records. "

Note that there is no requirement for ANY specific software -- only that a
process for software validation has been followed. Presumably, ANY
reasonable validation process can be used and, as R already has extensive
built-in validation suites, these certainly should go a long way toward
fulfilling the bulk of this validation requirement.

The widespread use of SAS within the pharmaceutical industry is simply a
historical legacy (many would say an archaic one, but we won't go there).
Because of a huge existing infrastructure and code base, many companies
don't/can't even consider changing it. This is a common paradigm for
technological change: RCA was working mightily on improving vaccuum tubes
for their TV sets even as Sony was using transistors to blow them away. My
understanding is that it will take decades at least for fiber optics to
replace the gazillions of miles of copper in the phone network even though
that copper is a major obstacle to wider bandwidth and new services.

Older technologies are frequently difficult to displace merely because they
are there. This is certainly heightened in a regulatory environment where
anything that slows approval of a submission -- for example, use of software
that FDA reviewers may not be as familiar with -- is avoided. But that
neither mandates nor argues for avoidance. If R produces better submissions
more efficiently, then why not use it?

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box