[R] Re: S4 method inheritance

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue May 24 02:03:45 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 14:41 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:

> Finally, I'm a bit concerned that one article mentioned that S4
> inheritance, in practice, is used mostly for data, not methods (Thomas
> Lumley, R News 4(1), June 2004: p. 36).  Am I going down a road I
> shouldn't travel?

Hmm, maybe I just found out.  If B is an S4 subclass of A (aka extends
A), how does B's method foo invoke A's foo?

The question assumes that A's foo was defined as an in place function,
so there's no (obvious) named object for it, i.e,
setMethod("A", signature(blah="numeric"), function(x) something)