[R] Plot range resizing when adding additiona lines

Sander Oom slist at oomvanlieshout.net
Tue May 24 23:03:31 CEST 2005

Hikel, Jerry wrote:
> Hi -- I have searched the documentation and archives on graphing
> capabilities in R for the past couple of hours, but I haven't been able
> to find anything directly related to my problem.
>
> I want to create a plot with several lines displayed on it. I want each
> line to be displayed in a different color, so it seems the only way to
> do this is to create a plot and then use the lines() function. However,
> once i create the original plot, when I add new lines to the plot, the
> axes range stays the same, and the new lines often extend beyond the
> range of the original axes, cutting off the data of the added lines.
>
> Is there any way to force the plot to resize it's axes range when new
> lines are added, or is there some other optional way of implementing
> this? Thanks.
>

> DISCLAIMER: This e-mail message and any attachments are inte...{{dropped}}

You can check the range of all items to plot and take the minimum and
maximum value across all items. Then draw the plot with the axis range
explicitely set to 'minimum'-'maximum'!

That is assuming you know the items you are drawing before hand.

Sander.

Dr Sander P. Oom
Animal, Plant and Environmental Sciences,
University of the Witwatersrand
Private Bag 3, Wits 2050, South Africa
Tel (work)      +27 (0)11 717 64 04
Tel (home)      +27 (0)18 297 44 51