[R] mixed model

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Wed May 25 18:06:32 CEST 2005

I may not follow entirely here, but your random effects structure isn't
correct for lme. Also, nlme cannot handle (at least well) models with
crossed random effects. A better option would be to use the lmer
function.

Setting up the structure for the random effects in nlme would look
something like:

lme(y~ fixed, data, random~= z1 + z2 |ID)

Where ID is a variable that contains the grouping structure of your
data.

In lmer, which is more appropriate for models with crossed random
effects, you lmer call might be something along the lines of:

lmer(y ~ fixed + (z1|ID) + (z2|ID), data)

See the most recent version of R news for more info on this topic.