[R] a more elegant approach to getting the majority level

Eric Lecoutre lecoutre at stat.ucl.ac.be
Thu May 26 17:00:27 CEST 2005

You could also use:

> names(rev(sort(table(x))))[1]

There is nonetheless a difference if there are several levels which
provides this maximum.
This method will only return one, yours would return all those levels
(which may not be desirable for some others processing).

HTH,

Eric

Eric Lecoutre
UCL /  Institut de Statistique
Voie du Roman Pays, 20
1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
Belgium

tel: (+32)(0)10473050
lecoutre at stat.ucl.ac.be
http://www.stat.ucl.ac.be/ISpersonnel/lecoutre

If the statistics are boring, then you've got the wrong numbers. -Edward
Tufte